Official Marriage Certificate Application in Perth by Perth Wedding Celebrant

Congratulations on your marriage:

So you have just been married by a Wedding Celebrant here in Perth and now are wanting to prove you are married…. It is good to know the certificate the celebrant has given to you is not the document you can use…. You have to get the Registered one which is known as the Official Marriage Certificate which can be received from the Registering authority in the state you are married.

If you are married in perth you will go to the Perth office of Births Deaths and Marriages (BDM) located in St Georges Terrace in the city.

Please note they do not automatically send to you:  you have to apply via their application form.

The Vines resort, Swan valley wedding open day, Swan valley wedding celebrant

Wedding Ceremony at The Vines resort

What happens after the Wedding:

So here is some info that may make it a little easier in getting and applying for:

After the wedding the paperwork will be sent via post (Celebrant has 2 weeks but most do straight away for you) to Perth BDM (if you want it couriered to BDM quickly you may want to ask your celebrant on how they can assist) and BDM will register within a timely manner of receiving. Currently they are saying 2 weeks (Nov 2019), so please give a good amount of time for them to register.

If you are needing to apply for the official marriage certificate you will pay a fee directly to them for $50 (this is the only way you can prove you are married) and you apply to them (BDM) directly. Prices are current as of Nov 2019.

Please note: they do not automatically send to you so you have to apply to them and pay for it if you want it.

Levo photography, Caversham house, swan valley wedding open day

Caversham House (photo by L’evo photography)

How to apply:

You can apply to BDM for your official marriage certificate in person, by mail or at a courthouse.

As mentioned above it can take over 2 weeks for them to receive from the Celebrant and process the registration of your marriage. If you want your marriage certificate quickly, they do charge an urgent fee of $35.  Please note you must have the correct money and also the appropriate identification such as passports, birth certs, etc…. Check the application form for the specific ID you need. Turnaround with the Urgent fee of $35 is still 24 hours so keep this in mind.

As a Perth Marriage Celebrant we have no control over the registration process so any questions in regards to getting the official marriage certificate and the length of time it may take, you may want to contact the registration office directly on 1300 305 021 or refer to the Perth Office of Births Deaths and Marriages Website.

They are really helpful and are happy to talk you through the process.
Wedding ceremony, wedding celebrant, perth weddings, perth wedding celebrant

Surprise: Let the fun begin

Perth office of Births Deaths and Marriages:

However, here are their details in case you want to write to them or visit in person:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
Department of Justice
Level 10, 141 St Georges Terrace

Phone: 1300 305 021 (calls within Australia / Interstate)    Fax: (08) 9264 1599

Outside Australia / International: + 61 8 9264 1555

Postal address:
PO Box 7720
Cloisters Square

Marriage Certificate, Registry weddings, Wedding celebrant, perth wedding celebrant

Wedding on the Beach in Perth

Brad Whitelock is an experienced Marriage Celebrant in Perth who has been performing weddings for over 13 years and knows his way around the marriage process. For more information on Registry weddings, formal weddings or fun and relaxed weddings on a beach or Park here in Perth, contact Brad today on 0431 974 608

Recent Posts
Contact Us

Please send me an email.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search

Victoria park, perth weddings, perth celebrant, wedding in perthPerth beach wedding, Perthfitfam, Wedding Celebrant, Perth Weddings, Perth Marriage Celebrant